Thursday, July 11, 2013

How do I study effectively by receiving revelation?

This is the final installment in this series on effective study. Preach My Gospel teaches us, "Learning the gospel is also a process of receiving revelation... As you study, pay careful attention to ideas that come to your mind and feelings that come to your heart."

The scriptures, and the Book of Mormon in particular, contain the fullness of the gospel. The gospel and doctrine of Christ as expressed in the written word and the pronouncements of living prophets and apostles is sufficient to save us. Exaltation and eternal life, on the other hand, require more knowledge than we can get from published writings. Personal revelation is essential.

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But, behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts? Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost? Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do. (2 Nephi 32:1-3)
Nephi's admonition to feast on the words of Christ is not a plea for us to read the scriptures. He wants us to receive the words of Christ directly through revelation, as do the angels in heaven. The scriptures only go so far. They cannot tell us everything that we need to do. But revelation can tell us "all things what [we] should do."

And what should we do? Make the Holy Ghost our constant companion, come unto Christ, receive and retain a remission of our sins, make our calling and election sure, be sealed up unto eternal life, receive the Second Comforter, and enter into the rest of the Lord until our mission on earth is complete and we return to the Father and sit with him in his throne as joint heirs with Christ. These blessings come by revelation, by acting on that revelation, and by qualifying for more revelation - line upon line, precept upon precept, from grace to grace, until we ascend up, part the veil of unbelief, and enter into the Lord's presence, and with him enjoy eternal life and exaltation.

The Revelatory Process

President Boyd K. Packer taught, "Enos, who was 'struggling in the spirit,' said, 'Behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind.' (Enos 1:10; italics added.) While this spiritual communication comes into the mind, it comes more as a feeling, an impression, than simply as a thought. Unless you have experienced it, it is very difficult to describe that delicate process" (General Conference, October 1991).

Revelation comes in two forms. First there are thoughts and ideas. The Holy Ghost brings all things to our remembrance, including things that we may have learned in the pre-existence. As we attune ourselves to the Spirit, we will receive ideas as we study and pray that have nothing to do with the written words on the page. The scriptures become a urim and thummim to us that unlock "treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures" (D&C 89.19).

Second, feelings of assurance come to us to convince us that what we have heard from the Spirit is right and good. The Holy Ghost both teaches and convinces.

Essential to receiving revelation are

  1. having good desires
  2. intending to act on our knowledge
  3. self-discipline to follow through with actions
  4. keeping our lives in harmony with the Spirit. 

Testimony

The more we act, the more will we be given to act upon. A man cannot be saved in ignorance, and he cannot be exalted in idleness. There is much to learn regarding our futurity, only part of which is contained in the scriptures. They are a vital beginning, but they are not the end. We need the tongue of angels, which are the words of Christ directly revealed to us. Only through personal revelation will we know all things what we should do.

I bear my testimony that the principles I have discussed in this article and indeed in the whole series of articles about effective study are true and faithful. I have tested them, and they have changed my life. As I have created a habit of prayerfully studying the scriptures and the words of the living prophets, I have pondered them and likened them unto myself. I have exercised faith and used my agency to try to internalize the principles I have learned, and continue to learn, by acting on them. Over the years, my desires for righteousness have increased as a result of putting righteous knowledge into action. As I have grown in the gospel, my ability to serve others has increased, I have been consoled when challenges have seemed overwhelming, I have found solutions to many perplexing problems, and I have been strengthened to endure to the end.

Throughout this process, I have learned to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. Revelation has come and continues to come to me daily, not in grand visions and visitations, but in the still small voice as the Holy Ghost whispers to me. Visions and visitations may still await me, but for now, I have a rich source of truth and personalized commandments from the Holy Ghost to keep me occupied for a long time. Ideas come to my mind and feelings come to my heart, just as President Packer has promised.

I promise that if you will read and ponder the scriptures as often as you can, have faith in Jesus Christ, listen for and obey the promptings of the still small voice of the Spirit, and practice what you learn, you can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true and living church. Your life will change for the better as you grow in the gospel. I bear this witness in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment