Sunday, August 21, 2016

Flood the Earth - One Drop At A Time

In 1988 President Ezra Taft Benson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints asked the members of the church to "flood the earth" with the Book of Mormon. He said at the October General Conference of the church: "The time is long overdue for a massive flooding of the earth with the Book of Mormon for the many reasons which the Lord has given. In this age of the electronic media and the mass distribution of the printed word, God will hold us accountable if we do not now move the Book of Mormon in a monumental way."

Recall that in 1988 the Internet was in its infancy. The World Wide Web had not yet made its appearance. Smartphones were not yet invented. How far we have come in the technology that President Benson envisioned for flooding the earth.

The commandment to flood the earth with the Book of Mormon has never been rescinded. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I need to do more with the technological gifts at my disposal to keep this commandment.

Now, I am not so naive as to think that I am going to flood the Internet with the Book of Mormon. But I can add my drop. As the old saying goes, if we each add a drop, pretty soon we'll have an ocean.

So here is my drop. I am going to post a verse from the Book of Mormon every day in my blog, along with a short comment. I invite anyone who wants to join your drops to mine to do three things:

  1. Follow my blog so I know you are with me.
  2. Share my blog on your Facebook page and invite your web of friends to join us.
  3.  Use your Facebook page to share your own Book of Mormon verses and encourage others to share. 

Working together, our individual drops can become a drizzle, and then a stream, and pretty soon we'll have a river that becomes a flood. If a cute kitten video can get a gazillion hits in a day, surely the word of God can go viral if we all lend a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment