Monday, October 30, 2017

Mosiah 12:1


And it came to pass that after the space of two years that Abinadi came among them in disguise, that they knew him not, and began to prophesy among them, saying: Thus has the Lord commanded me, saying—Abinadi, go and prophesy unto this my people, for they have hardened their hearts against my words; they have repented not of their evil doings; therefore, I will visit them in my anger, yea, in my fierce anger will I visit them in their iniquities and abominations.

The prophet Abinadi prophesies severe trials ahead for the people of King Noah. Is God going to punish these people out of spite? No, he is going to get their attention with a disaster because they refuse to listen to the call of a prophet to repent. If preaching will not induce repentance, perhaps captivity and destruction will humble them. Many will die, it is true. That only moves the stage of their repentance from mortality to spirit prison. They are still in the second estate until the resurrection. Hopefully what they refused to believe in life they may more readily open their hearts to in the spirit world. Many of the survivors will be humbled and turn to the Lord. God's purpose is to save his children.  On which side of the veil they are is of little consequence. What we perceive as angry punishment is just a form of tough love.

No comments:

Post a Comment