Wednesday, November 21, 2018

3 Nephi 18:16


And as I have prayed among you even so shall ye pray in my church, among my people who do repent and are baptized in my name. Behold I am the light; I have set an example for you.

We do not appreciate today the importance of light because we take it for granted. We live in a society of electric light available any hour of any day at the flip of a switch. The occasional power outage gives us an temporary glimpse into a dark world, but we endure the inconvenience because we know the lights will eventually come back on. They always do.

In the time of Christ, however, light was not so readily available. When the sun went down, it got very dark for the vast majority of people. Only the very rich could afford to burn oil lamps and tallow candles all night. For the rest, when the sun set, the day was done, and they had to wait for sunrise to receive light again.

Christ offers constant spiritual light. His light will never be dimmed by a blackout. Those who look to Christ will not be trapped by the long night of darkness. The light of Christ is always available at the flip of a switch called faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment