Sunday, February 10, 2019

Mormon 9:27


O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him.

Salvation is an individual thing. No one else can work out my salvation for me. Ultimately, I cannot rely on anyone's testimony but my own. I cannot ride on the faith of others. I must be baptized for myself, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost myself, receive my own temple endowments, be sealed to my spouse, and keep the commandments. My parents' conversion is not my conversion. My wife's charity is not my charity. I can learn from the good example of others, but I cannot depend on their works to bring me to Christ and sanctify me. I must come to Christ for myself, repent for myself, exercise my own faith. Working out my salvation does not mean that I save myself. Only Christ can save me. But I have to apply to him for salvation, and that application must be personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment