Thursday, October 20, 2016

First Nephi 12:4

And it came to pass that I saw a mist of darkness on the face of the land of promise; and I saw lightnings, and I heard thunderings, and earthquakes, and all manner of tumultuous noises; and I saw the earth and the rocks, that they rent; and I saw mountains tumbling into pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth, that they were broken up; and I saw many cities that they were sunk; and I saw many that they were burned with fire; and I saw many that did tumble to the earth, because of the quaking thereof.

Nephi saw in perfect detail the great destruction that would occur in America at the time the Savior is crucified. It fascinates me that time is irrelevant to God. All things are present before Him in an instant. He sees the end from the beginning and all points in between. He is never surprised.

His knowledge does not violate our agency, however. The fact that He can see the consequences of our choices and actions does not take away from us the responsibility for them. I think one of the things we can learn from Nephi is that God will reveal to us the results of our choices and actions if we ask Him. I believe He is willing to tell us where the road leads that we are following, and we can use that knowledge to alter our course if we don't like the outcome. God will never force down a path, either for good or ill. We are always free to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment