Tuesday, December 27, 2016

First Nephi 17:48

And now it came to pass that when I had spoken these words they were angry with me, and were desirous to throw me into the depths of the sea; and as they came forth to lay their hands upon me I spake unto them, saying: In the name of the Almighty God, I command you that ye touch me not, for I am filled with the power of God, even unto the consuming of my flesh; and whoso shall lay his hands upon me shall wither even as a dried reed; and he shall be as naught before the power of God, for God shall smite him.

The power that filled Nephi was accompanied by a tangible feeling and a physical,  electrical force. In that moment,  Nephi was transfigured by a physical manifestation of God's power,  similar perhaps to how the Savior was transfigured before his disciples on the mount or Moses was transfigured as he descended  from Sinai. Nephi was changed, at least temporarily.  He was beyond mere mortality at that moment.  He was experiencing the baptism of fire in a dramatic way.  Not his physical flesh but the fleshliness of the natural man was being burned away,  and refined spirit was the result.  The insulating dross that normally restrained his eternal spirit was stripped away, and the real Nephi, who had lived in the presence of Elohim and Jehovah for eons, shone through.

Because of the manifestation of God's power,  Nephi was delivered from the evil intentions of his brothers to destroy him.  If we seek for it and live for it,  God will manifest his power in our lives to deliver us from the evil intentions of Satan, our former brother, to destroy our souls. As we let the Lord fill our lives with light and power, we can say to Satan, "Touch me not. "

No comments:

Post a Comment